Washington, DC and the metropolitan area have a rich history and is chalked full of monuments of all kinds. There are the well known monuments, sculptures and other art objects that are on the "must see" tourist itineraries: The Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the 7 1/2 acre Franklin Roosevelt Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the Viet Nam Memorial, The World War II Memorial, Arlington Cemetery, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, (GPS Users: Warning! Many visitors have experienced difficulty navigating to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial using GPS devices. These users end up in Southeast DC instead of Southwest, where the memorial is located.) etc. As you walk around the Washington, DC area there are many less known sculptures and art treasures of all kinds everywhere. You just need to be alert as you walk around to the better known sites. Each art treasure has its own story in history, as well--some of them quite exciting! Below are a few of these historical markers that are in plain sight, but often missed, along with the story of each:
W United States Air Force Memorial
"The United States Air Force Memorial honors the service of the personnel of the United States Air Force and its predecessors. The Memorial is located in Arlington, Virginia, on the grounds of Fort Myer near The Pentagon and Arlington National Cemetery, at the intersection of Columbia Pike and South Joyce Street. It was the last project of American architect James Ingo Freed (known for the design of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum) with the firm Pei Cobb Freed & Partners for the United States Air Force Memorial Foundation. ...
The spire structure consists of stainless steel plates with high-strength concrete filling the lower 2/3 of each spire. The upper third is hollow stainless steel. At the transition between concrete and hollow steel portions, dampers provide aerodynamic stability and dissipate wind sway energy. Each damper consists of a lead ball weighing about a ton that is allowed to roll inside a steel box. The structural design of the spires was completed by the Arup engineering consultancy.
The pedestrian approach to the spires is from the west. South of the approach, before the inscription wall, stand four 8-foot-tall (2.4 m) bronze statues of the Memorial's Honor Guard, sculpted by Zenos Frudakis. To the north, this is linked by a stone plaza to the glass contemplation wall, a free-standing glass panel with the images of four F-16s flying in a Missing man formation engraved on both sides of the 5-ply panel. Except for the information kiosks outside the administration building, it is the only part of the memorial that depicts aircraft. The north inscription wall is visible through it.
The two inscription walls are located at each end of the central lawn. The walls are 56 feet (17 m) in length, 10 feet (3.0 m) in height and one foot thick. Both walls are made of polished, highly-reflective monolithic Jet Mist granite and both include a two and a half inch outer inscription panel made from Absolute Black granite. The north wall bears the names of Air Force recipients of the Medal of Honor, and the south wall bears inspirational quotations regarding core values, particularly the Air Force's three core values: 'integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do'. ..."
A time capsule is buried under the statue and is to be opened by the President of the United States in 2063 on the 100th Anniversary of Churchill's honorary citizenship. Symbolically Churchill's right hand is lifted; fingers showing a "V" for victory, his right hand holds a cane and a cigar. Some people took exception to the cigar as they felt is was vulgar. Read more: Churchill British Embassy 3100 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
April 22, 1979, the memorial to Albert Einstein, was unveiled at the National Academy of Sciences annual meeting in honor of the centennial of the great scientist's birth. It is located at 2101 Constitution Avenue NW, near the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Interestingly, in 1922 Einstein was elected a foreign associate of the Academy; the year after he won the Nobel Prize in physics. Two years after becoming a naturalized citizen, Einstein became a member of the National Academy of Sciences in 1942.
Einstein is depicted seated on a three-step bench of Mount Airy (North Carolina) white granite. The bronze figure, weighing approximately 4 tons, is 12 feet in height. It is supported by three caissons that total 135 tons and are sunk in bedrock to a depth of 23 to 25 feet to support the monument. The monument honors Einstein's birth. Einstein holds a paper with mathematical equations summarizing three of his most important scientific contributions in his left hand: the photoelectric effect, the theory of general relativity, and the equivalence of energy and matter. Three quotations from Einstein are engraved on the bench where the figure is seated:
"...The star map at the statue's base-a 28-foot field of emerald pearl granite from Larvik, Norway-is embedded with more than 2,700 metal studs representing the planets, sun, moon, stars, and other celestial objects accurately positioned by astronomers from the US Naval Observatory as they were on the dedication date. The sculptor, Robert Berks, known for his portrait busts (John F. Kennedy at Washington's Kennedy Center), based the work on a bust of Einstein he sculpted from life in 1953. Landscape architect James A. Van Sweden. designed the monument landscaping." NAS Building
For More Information: W
Architect, Davis Buckley, designed the National Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism. The tubular bell was the creativity of W Paul Matisse. Nina Akamu, in 2002 designed a 14' tall centerpiece "The Golden Cranes" for the National Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism which was dedicated in Washington, DC. Placed 600 yards from our Nation's Capital, it remains a powerful symbol to all freedom loving people; it was awarded the prestigious Henry Hering Award by the National Sculpture Society in 2002.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066, on February 19, 1942, which eventually allowed the internment of 120,000 persons of Japanese ancestry--many of them United States citizens--in concentration camps located in 7 states. The camps were located mostly in desert areas. Clearly, this is a shameful part of our history. The monument serves several purposes. Firstly, it is an apology set in stone. President Ronald Ragan issued a legislative apology when he signed the Civil Liberties Act of 1988. "Here we admit a wrong. Here we affirm our commitment as a nation to equal justice under the law." The memorial has more than 800 engraved names of Japanese who served in the United States military during World War II. It should also be noted that they served in segregated units.
The National Japanese American Memorial was dedicated in Washington, DC on Federal land on November 9, 2000.
For More Information: W
Joan of Arc Statue is one of several statues in Meridian Hill Park. The park is an administrative unit of Rock Creek Park. The formal, 12-acre site includes unique statues, the largest cascading fountain in North America, concrete aggregate architecture, a US presidential memorial, and the only horse statue with a female mount, Joan of Arc. The park was designed based off of an Italian aristocrat's private residence Meridian Hill Park was home to an early African American Seminary and a college that was to become George Washington University.
2400 15th St NW, Washington, DC 20008. Free Cell Phone Tour.
W Joan of Arc, by Paul Dubois, is the only equestrian statue of a woman in Washington, D.C. It is a statue that was first proposed in May 1916 by Mme Polifème to the Commission of Fine Arts in order to celebrate the friendship between France and the United States. During its creation, DuBois worked closely with the French Minister of Education and Fine Arts in producing a credible representation of the peasant girl. The statue was completed in 1922 in Paris; the original is located in Reims, France in front of the Cathedral of Notre-Dame. The replica in Washington was donated by Le Lyceum Société des Femmes de France to the women of the United States of America. On January 6, 1922, when the piece was dedicated, President Harding and the French Ambassador were the guests of honor. Mrs. Harding and Mme Jusserand, who represented France, also attended.
The United States Commission of Fine Arts suggested that the sculpture be placed at the terrace of Meridian Hill Park located in Washington, DC It was originally surveyed as part of the Smithsonian's Save Outdoor Sculpture! (SOS) survey in 1994. SOS is a joint project of the Smithsonian American Art Museum and Heritage Preservation. Joan of Arc is a statue of a trotting horse with Joan of Arc riding. The statue sits on a three-tiered granite base (height 52 inches x width 11 feet) designed by W Harold Lenoir Davis and American novelist and poet. She looks skyward and is wearing a helmet. She holds the reins in her left hand. When the statue was created Joan of Arc held a sword in her right hand. The sword was stolen in 1978 and finally replaced in December 2011.
Lincoln's Cottage and Old Bob
(Left: Jiwoong Cheh's sculpture of Abraham Lincoln and his horse, Old Bob.) Jiwoong Cheh was born in 1968 in Seoul, Korea. He is a "...classically trained sculptor and educator who demonstrates mastery of anatomy, physical dynamics, and accurate likenesses. Cheh creates works that are approachable and inspiring, fresh and timeless, revealing individual character with the grace and harmony of classical techniques. He has received many awards in the USA and abroad. Cheh excels in sculpting a range of subjects; his works include life size statues and portraits..."
President Lincoln's Cottage, a part of the US Military Asylum; The Old Soldiers' Home (now called the Armed Forces Retirement Home), located at the intersection of Upshur Street and Rock Creek Church Road NW, Washington, DC, has been designated a National Historic Landmark. Follow the links for the National Historic Landmark registration file: text and photos .
The National Trust for Historic Preservation operates President Lincoln's Cottage as an historic house museum. For more information, visit the President Lincoln's Cottage at the Soldiers' Home website or call 202-829-0436, Ext. 31231. Tickets are required and advance purchase is strongly recommended. An admission fee is charged. Tours are offered daily, year round. All tours begin at the Robert H. Smith Visitor Education Center, adjacent to the cottage, which features related exhibits and media presentations. The site is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. In order to protect the privacy of the 1,200 residents of the Armed Forces Retirement Home, access to President Lincoln's Cottage and its immediate grounds is by guided tour only.
President Lincoln's Cottage is the subject of an online lesson plan: (President Lincoln's Cottage: A Retreat.) The lesson plan has been produced by the National Park Service's Teaching with Historic Places program, which offers a series of online classroom-ready lesson plans on registered historic places. To learn more, visit the Teaching with Historic Places home page.
The US Soldiers Home, Corn Rigs (President Lincoln's Cottage) has been documented by the National Park Service's Historic American Buildings Survey.
In front of the newly renovated building of the South African Embassy, 3051 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008, is a powerful 9-foot, bronze-plated statue designed by Jean Doyle, a South African sculptor. The sculpture was modeled after images of the anti-apartheid leader leaving prison in 1990 after 27 years of incarceration. "The 9-foot high work, capturing Madiba as he strode triumphantly into freedom in February 1990, will stand on ground where thousands of Americans had themselves arrested in the 80's to demand an end to apartheid and help win his release. The statue, a model of which is pictured to the right, is the twin of one that stands at the gate Mandela's last place of confinement, Victor Verster prison near Cape Town. It has been cast in South Africa..." South African Embassy
Frances Scott Key Park
The Star Spangled Banner Monument is at the Key Bridge as one enters or exits Georgetown. It overlooks the Potomac River. The tow Path of the C & O Canal is adjacent to the park. Key's house occupied a beautiful site on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River near what is now the Francis Scott Key Bridge. His house no longer exists, however, a group of Georgetown citizens, called the Francis Scott Key Foundation, remembered the Key house and established the Francis Scott Key Park in Georgetown near the access ramp to the Key Bridge. The park was dedicated on September 14, 1993--the anniversary of the firing on Fort McHenry. It is a lovely spot, particularly in the spring, summer and fall as it includes lovely terraces and plantings. The bronze bust of Francis Scott Key is the centerpiece of the park--located in a lovely arbored brick and sandstone terrace. Betty Mailhouse Dunston sculpted this bronze bust. A replica of the 15 star flag that flew when the anthem was written flies day and night. The park is just a few blocks away from the historic St. John's Episcopal Church, where Key served as vestryman. Professionally Key was a lawyer.(Left: Flag that flew over Fort McHenry in 1814, photographed in 1873 in the Boston Navy Yard by George Henry Preble.) Today the flag is viewable at the National Museum of American History. A bronze bust of Francis Scott Key on a granite pillar. The bust is approx. 2' tall on a 4' tall base. The face of the bust looks slightly toward his proper left. Park is situated at the foot of the Key Bridge in Georgetown. Bust is a primary design feature of the park commemorating Francis Scott Key and the Star Spangled Banner. In 1986 Congress authorized the foundation to erect a memorial on public grounds. Park was dedicated on 9/14/1993, the anniversary of the firing on Fort McHenry.
The Kahlil Gibran Monument is a bronze sculpture, by Gordon Kray. It is located at 3100 Massachusetts Avenue NW Washington, DC in a lovely park setting along Embassy Row. There are fountains, benches and cement walkways that are landscaped with lovely shrubs and flowers. President George W. Bush dedicated the sculpture May 24, 1991. The tribute was a celebration of the 100th anniversary of Gibran's birth in Bsharri, Lebanon. W
The Kahlil Gibran Centennial Foundation, organized in 1983, and did the fund raising for this tribute. "Sculpture was funded with one million dollars raised from private donations by the Gibran Foundation. The five-ton granite floors were cut in Italy. George Dickie was the project director for the landscape architects, Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum. Three cedars of Lebanon were included in the terraced setting for the memorial. .." Kahil Gibran Sculpture A renovation of the garden was done in 2011.
"Khalil Gibran was a Lebanese artist, poet, and writer. Born in the town of Bsharri in the north of modern-day Lebanon, as a young man he immigrated with his family to the United States, where he studied ..." W
2107 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC
The government of India is honoring the growing link between India and Washington, DC by giving a life-size bronze statue of Mahatma Gandhi, the Indian political and spiritual leader. The statue is a powerful symbol of India's quest for liberty and freedom by peaceful means. Indian artist Anil R. Sutar is a renowned Indian artist and the sculptor of the statue. The statue "evokes a feeling of peace and spirituality" and is one of my favorite statues in Washington, DC. Bill and I enjoy this gift regularly as we live just one bock away from the Indian Residence and the Mahatma Gandhi Statue. It is truly lovely.
"...There are a few other statues of Gandhi in the US, including one at the federally owned Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site in Atlanta, said Subash Razdan, the chairman of the Gandhi Foundation USA in Atlanta. But this may be the only Gandhi statue gifted by the government of India and placed on land owned by a local government. (The library property is owned by the King County Library System.) It took about seven years for the Atlanta statue to be approved, in part because Gandhi was a foreign national and the park is a federal park. ..." Gandhi's statue a rare gift in recognition of Bellevue-India ties
Note: It is rare that foreign monuments or statues are allowed to be erected on United States Federal land. The Gandi statue is on Federal land, not Embassy property.
W "Located on the Southwest waterfront of Washington, DC, just under the shadow of Interstate 395, the Maine Avenue Fish Market stands as a cultural relic popular with locals but unknown to many of the tourists who flock to the monuments and museums just five blocks north. There are over ten stores, each with a specialty. The Maine Avenue Fish Market is open each day of the week, but the largest selection of fish is on display Friday evening through Sunday. A multitude of fresh seafood is sold on floating barges that line the pier along Water Street. These barges are a tribute to the original system in which fishing boats would journey sixty miles back and forth from Colonial Beach, Virginia, where they would harvest the bay. In the 1960s, refrigerated trucks became more efficient and the 'buy boats' were permanently docked and later replaced by the steel barges which exist today. ..."
If you have a chance to get down to the Main Street Waterfront make sure to see the lobsterman sculpture of H. Elroy Johnson. It is about one block past the fish market in a park area by the waterfront restaurants. "...But who was Kahill's lobsterman? Elroy Johnson was a Harpswell fisherman, who was known as a boisterous spokesperson for the fishing community. He frequented meetings in Augusta, and was hired as a Maritime consultant under Governor Edward Muskie's lead. Although 'Johnson was not elected by his peers to pose for the sculpture' Muskie affirms 'that had there been an election held among the fishermen of Maine in 1939, he would have been chosen' (Bangor Daily News). While it seems as though Maine fishermen unanimously supported Johnson, there was not such unified support for Kahill's interpretation of Johnson in his sculpture. Maine fisherman disagreed with Kahill's choice of dress, arguing that Johnson should have been captured wearing a sou'wester.
In addition, they thought that Johnson should have been standing, instead of kneeling, while he pegged the lobster. And finally, they were disappointed that Johnson's dog, Bruin, was not part of the sculpture. Perhaps less for their genuine affection for Bruin, and more so their desire to represent Maine lobsterman in a more accurate light-which obviously includes showing off one's boat dog. Most interestingly, the state of Maine seemed to regret excluding Bruin, and upon the unveiling of the statue, issued the dog a bona fide lobster license. Welcome to politics in Maine. ..."
The sculpture has had a difficult history. Its genesis began in 1939 when H. Elroy Johnson was the subject for "The Maine Lobsterman". The Maine Lobsterman Maine was to exhibit this bronze sculpture in the 1939 World's Fair; however, there was not enough money to do the final bronze casting. Victor A. Kahill, the sculptor, covered the plaster model with a coat of bronze paint and shipped it to New York. After the World's Fair the fake bronze was moved from place to place surviving vandals and total destruction, but in disrepair. It ended up in a warehouse. In 1973, funds the Maine legislation appropriated $30,000 for three bronze castings of Kahill's lobsterman. The bronze was moved to Washington, DC and dedicated in 1983. The Camp Fire Girls of Cundys Harbor, Maine donated the statue.
W Letelier Assassination
On September 21, 1976 at 9:30 am, Orlando Letelier was killed by a car bombing in Washington, DC, at Sheridan Circle on Embassy Row. Two others were killed and there was one non-fatal injury, as well. My husband and I heard the bombing and the glass in our house windows vibrated. There is a memorial monument where he was killed by The Dirección de Inteligencia Nacional (English: National Intelligence Directorate) or DINA--the Chilean secret police in the government of Augusto Pinochet. The DINA was established in November 1973, as a Chilean Army intelligence unit.
"The Letelier assassination refers to the September 21, 1976 car bombing, in Washington, DC, of Orlando Letelier, a leading opponent of Chilean dictator Gen. Augusto Pinochet. Letelier, who was living in exile in the United States, was killed along with his American assistant, Ronni Moffitt. The assassination was perpetrated by agents of the Chilean secret police (the DINA), and was one among many carried out as part of Operation Condor.
In 1971, Letelier was appointed ambassador to the United States by Salvador Allende, the socialist president of Chile. Letelier had lived in Washington, DC during the 1960s and had supported Allende's campaign for the presidency. Allende believed Letelier's experience and connections in international banking would be highly beneficial to developing U--Chile diplomatic relations. During 1973, Letelier served successively as Minister of Foreign Affairs, then Interior Minister, and, finally, Defense Minister. After the Chilean coup of 1973 that brought Augusto Pinochet to power, Letelier became the first member of the Allende administration to be arrested by the Chilean government and sent to a political prison in Tierra del Fuego.
He was held for 12 months in different concentration camps suffering severe torture: first at the Tacna Regiment, then at the Military Academy; later he was sent to a political prison for eight months in Dawson Island and from there he was transferred to the basement of the Air Force War Academy, and finally to the concentration camp of Ritoque, until international diplomatic pressure especially from Diego Arria, then Governor of the city of Caracas, Venezuela, and United States Secretary of State Henry Kissinger resulted in the sudden release of Letelier on the condition that he immediately leave Chile. He was told by the officer in charge of his release that 'the arm of DINA is long, General Pinochet will not and does not tolerate activities against his government', a clear warning to Letelier that living outside of Chile wouldn't guarantee his safety.
After his release in 1974, he moved to Washington, DC, where he became a senior fellow of the Institute for Policy Studies, an independent international policy studies think tank. He plunged into writing, speaking, and lobbying the US Congress and European governments against Augusto Pinochet's regime, and soon he became the leading voice of the Chilean resistance, in the process preventing several loans (especially from Europe) from being awarded to the military government. He was described by his colleagues as being 'the most respected and effective spokesman in the international campaign to condemn and isolate' Pinochet's dictatorship. Letelier was assisted at the Institute for Policy Studies by Ronni Moffitt, a 25-year-old fundraiser who ran a 'Music Carryout' program that produced musical instruments for the poor, and also campaigned for democracy in Chile.
Letelier soon became a person of interest for Operation Condor, a campaign initiated by right-wing dictatorships in South America to gather intelligence on opposition movements and to assassinate the leaders of these movements. Former General and political figure Carlos Prats, who had become a vocal opponent of the Pinochet government, was killed by a radio-controlled car bomb on September 30, 1974, in an assassination planned and executed by members of DINA. Letelier's pro-democracy campaign and his vehement criticisms of Pinochet had been under watch by the Chilean government. Letelier became a target in DINA director Manuel Contreras' efforts to eliminate resistance to the Pinochet government.
In October 1975, Letelier became the Director of Planning and Development for the International Political Economy Programme of the Transnational Institute, an international think tank for progressive politics affiliated with the Institute for Policy Studies. Through the institute's operations in the Netherlands, Letelier convinced the Dutch government not to invest US$63 million in the Chilean mining industry. On September 10, 1976, the Chilean government revoked Letelier's Chilean citizenship. Pinochet signed a decree declaring that the former ambassador's citizenship be canceled for his interference 'with normal financial support to Chile' and his efforts 'to hinder or prevent the investment of Dutch capital in Chile'. Later that day, in a speech he delivered at the Felt Forum in Madison Square Garden, Letelier proclaimed:
Today Pinochet has signed a decree in which it is said that I am deprived of my nationality. This is an important day for me. A dramatic day in my life in which the action of the fascist generals against me makes me feel more Chilean than ever. Because we are the true Chileans, in the tradition of O'Higgins, Balmaceda, Allende, Neruda, Gabriela Mistral, Claudio Arrau and Victor Jara, and they-the fascists-are the enemies of Chile, the traitors who are selling our country to foreign investments. I was born a Chilean, I am a Chilean and I will die a Chilean. They were born traitors, they live as traitors and they will be known forever as fascist traitors."
The Women's Titanic Memorial is on the US Register of Historic Place (October 12, 2007). It is located at 4th and P Streets, SW, (next to the Washington Channel near Fort Lesley J. McNair) Washington, DC. It was built in 1931 by architect, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney and John Horrigan in the classical style. The Memorial honors all the individuals who lost their lives on the Titanic. The statue is made of red granite, stands 13 feet high, and is a moving depiction of a partially clothed male figure with his arms outstretched. The Women's Titanic Memorial Association erected this statue. It was unveiled on May 26, 1931, by Helen Herron Taft, the widow of President Taft. Originally the monument was located at the foot of New Hampshire Avenue, NW in Rock Creed Park, next to the Potomac River. It was removed in 1966 because of the building of the Kennedy Center. The Memorial was re-erected in 1968 at its present location. W
The monuments and sights below are out of the Washington DC area but worth the drive to spend a day. See Middleburg and Upperville in Virginia horse country. Visit the Sporting Library and Museum, stroll along the quaint and historical town of Middleburg, visit the Sharon Cemetery and have lunch or dinner in the Red Fox Inn and Tavern or one of the other many fine eateries. I suggest you make reservations in advance to dine in the Red Fox Inn. Bill and I also like The French Hound Restaurant which is open for dinner. Another day destination is to take a drive to the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. There is so much to see at the Academy. While there, stroll around Annapolis, as well. It is a lovely, leisurely day. Also, there are so many wonderful restaurants in Annapolis where one can enjoy the water, ships and boats.
This statue of Alexander the Great was sculpted by Edward Henry Berge, an American sculptor born in Baltimore, MD in 1876. He died in 1924 in Baltimore, MD, as well. Berge was known for his bronze monumental works and figures. He studied at the Maryland Institute and was part of the first class of the Rinehart School of Sculpture, which comprised three boys and four girls, and is currently known as the Maryland Institute College of Art. The other two boys were J. Maxwell Miller and Hans Schuler. Upon completion of Rinehart School study, the three went together to Paris where they enrolled in the Académie Julian for three years and studied under Charles Raoul Verlet and Auguste Rodin. Edward Berge was a member of the National Sculpture Society and the National Arts Club.
The Alexander the Great Statue is a replica of a bust of Alexander the Great. The British ship, Macedononian, was captured by the USS United States during the war of 1812. "In September 1812, Macedonian was ordered to accompany an East India man as far as Madeira, then to cruise in search of prizes as long as his supplies permitted. The frigate left Madeira on 22 October 1812, but only a few days later, on the morning of 25 October, encountered the USS United States, commanded by his former dinner host Decatur. The United States had just declared war on the United Kingdom, and both captains were eager to achieve personal glory in a fight.
Unfortunately for Macedonian, the United States was one of the new 44-gun frigates, and her broadside was 864 pounds of metal, vs Macedonian's 528 pounds. The USS United States hove round, turning downwind and making HMS Macedonian chase her. Within a few minutes of closing, fire from the United States's 24-pounder cannons brought down all three of Macedonian's masts, and riddled the hull. The United States then pulled away temporarily, leaving Carden and Hope time to contemplate their lack of options. Finally, with the United States preparing to rake the British vessel again, Carden struck his colors, making the Macedonian the second Royal Navy vessel to surrender to the Americans during the war ..."
The HMS Macedonian was a 38-gun fifth rate Lively-class frigate in the Royal Navy. She was built at Woolwich Dockyard, England in 1809, launched 2 June 1810 and commissioned the same month. She was commanded by Captain Lord William FitzRoy. Among the original crew was the 13-year old W Samuel Leech, who later wrote a memoir of his experiences.
"...In 1728, Joseph Chinn opened an 'ordinary' to provide food and lodging, where travelers could stop at the halfway point between Alexandria and Winchester (hence, Middleburg). People settled around the tavern in a small hamlet and called it Chinn's Crossroads. When he inherited 3,300 acres from his father, Chinn sold 500 to Levin Powell, who laid out and incorporated a town of 70 half-acre lots in 1787. Rather than selling the lots Powell leased them, stipulating that each tenant build a house at least 16 feet square, with a stone or brick chimney, within one year.
Chinn's Crossroads became Middleburg and by 1836 had grown to a population of 436, with 70 dwellings, seven stores, two churches, four schools, two hotels, and a number of small workshops. During the Civil War, Middleburg was the site of significant action. After the Second Battle of Manassas, 1200 wounded men were hauled by wagon over rough roads to Middleburg, where the Free Church and the Methodist Church both had been converted into hospitals and townspeople were taking wounded into their homes and providing tent sites in their yards. At Mt. Sharon Cemetery, Middleburg erected one of the first memorials in the country to honor unknown war casualties. Today, most of the original structures in Middleburg are still in use, and Chinn's Ordinary, which has been operating continuously since its opening, is now the famous Red Fox Inn. . Middleburg has long been a destination to people from all over the world who appreciate the area's thriving equine industry. The Historic District of the Town of Middleburg has been designated a Virginia Historic Landmark. ..." 50 Corridor Coalition Walk around the cemetery both inside the wrought iron gate and outside, as well. The gravestones are varied and interesting. The image at the beginning of this article is of a Rodin Sculpture at a gravesite-- although quite weathered--it is interesting to see.
For More Information:Monuments Often Missed In Washington, DC (Continued)