|First Posted: July 13, 2012|
Jan 31, 2015
Hornblower " Marshall was a Washington, D.C.-based architectural firm that was a partnership between Joseph Coerten Hornblower (1848-1908) and James Rush Marshall (1851-1927). The firm designed numerous substantial government and other buildings, a number of which have been listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. For example, the partnership won a competition with its design for the monumental, Beaux-arts style U.S. Custom House of Baltimore, Maryland, that was built in 1903 and which served as a Custom House until 1953.Other works by the firm include:
Fraser Mansion, completed 1890 Engine Company 23, 2119 G, NW., Washington, D.C., NRHP-listed
The Smithsonian Institution holds the largest collection of Hornblower & Marshall documents.
For More Information:Hornblower
Smithsonian Preservation Quarterly